Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Going Home

I deal with the hard stuff of life on a daily basis at work and in other commitments. As much as I want to continue to learn about what's going on in the world, I have found myself drawn more and more to lighthearted entertainment. I can only tolerate so much complete and total fluff, so I find myself drawn frequently to memoir. I love to read something lighthearted, honest, heartfelt, and meaningful that offers some perspective from someone else's view while not taking itself to seriously.

In Russia, I read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home.
I haven't laughed that hard in ages! Weaved with the hard truths of her adult life, Rhoda Janzen reflects on the life she's left and the life she's chosen with grace and humor. Her perspective on faith is honest and, at least for me, relatable. And her family is hilarious! If you are a person of faith/classical musician and can make it through the Classical Loon section without laughing yourself into tears, I don't know what else to offer. This book is highly recommended!

2 comments:

cara said...

i need more 'fluff' in my life! i will rsvp this one!

Sarah said...

let me know if you read it--i loved it!

Post a Comment