Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Finding a New Friend

I've been thinking and thinking about getting a dog lately, then having him or her trained as a therapy dog. I don't think that's going to be happening any time soon, but maybe one day. When I do, I will get a shelter dog. I just can't imagine any other way. If I spend my life on issues of justice and caring for the least of these, that seems like the only route.

Have you seen the Shelter Pet Project ads? They tear at my heart every time, especially the ones with the kitties. I could definitely become a crazy cat lady! This video is a combo of our two little guys' stories--one was a street kitty, and the other was stuck at the shelter. They are just the sweetest little guys and the best behaved cats I've ever met!

Any animal person who's adopted a shelter pet can tell you what a joy they can be. Many of them have much sweeter temperments than inbred petshop animals or animals from breeders. Without us, they are alone and face a grim fate. Of course, you have to be purposeful and find the right fit for your family and lifestyle--responsible pet ownership only, please! If you're thinking about it at all, check out Shelter Pet Project for all kinds of good info. It's so worth it!

2 comments:

cara said...

totally agree! petfinder.org is a great place to look and many of the local rescue organizations work w/ the shelters. ARPO where we got our 2 dogs works very closely w/ animal control and local humane shelters.

Unknown said...

For sure! Our two kitties were shelter kittes, and we got Rocco from ARPO too! ARPO is awesome! You should totally get a dog one day! My parents have 2 golden retrievers they got from shelters and they trained them to be therapy dogs - they go to the nursing home once a week.

Post a Comment