Monday, November 8, 2010

Fall, Food, and Family

After a few too many work-filled weekends, this weekend was dedicated to enjoying friends and family. I walked a half marathon Saturday with some great friends in the crisp (ok, COLD!) fall air, then hosted my in-laws for the weekend. I am blessed and thankful they are in my family! Sunday, our house was full as my grandmothers, parents, and friends who are like family joined us. Even though I am now home sick without a voice, I feel so much more alive than I would have if I worked all weekend!


We celebrated fall with yummy roasted vegetables and too much dessert. My grandma's granny smith apples were featured players in a homemade apple butter.

5 1/2 c apples, peeled and finely chopped (you can't beat home-grown granny smith!)
2 c sugar*
2 tsp ground cinnamon*
1/4 tsp ground cloves*
1/4 tsp salt

Throw everything in a slow cooker & cover. Cook on high for an hour, low for 9-11 hours, and then uncovered for another hour. Whisk if you want it smoother. That's it! It freezes great, and it is sooo yummy!

*Ideally, you would find fair trade sugar and spices, but I'm sad to say I have been struggling to find them readily available. Any tips, please let me know!

Part of walking humbly, for me, is taking the time to connect to the people I love and honor my roots. In my family, that is done through quality time together and food prepared with care and love. This feeds my soul and makes me a stronger person, all-around--and it allows me to do the same for beautiful people who have given so much in their lives. That is good for me, my family, the children and families I serve, and the world. Thank you to all of the wonderful people who made my weekend!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We love you and are so glad that you are part of our family. You're a beautiful person and we're proud of your heart and your actions.
Love you,
Mom Clark

Sarah said...

Aww, I'm so glad I fell for a man with a wonderful family. Thanks for everything you do and for being who you are. :)

Post a Comment