Sunday, December 12, 2010

Linus and Lucy

Linus is concerned that Christmas has gone too commercial. Lucy is just glad that Christmas means lots of presents for pretty girls. Argh! I feel like Linus in a Lucy world.
It is so, so hard to find gifts that fit our values, fit our budgets, and delight the people we love. After years of shopping for gifts that make wise use of resources and support human dignity (not slavery), we feel like we have maxed out Global Gifts, Fair Indigo, and the like. We're trying Global Girlfriend. We're trying Uncommon Goods, though I am not convinced these products are produced fairly. When we buy mainstream gifts, we try to buy smart, using Green America's Responsible Shopper. But the sad truth is, there is a limited supply of items that feel good for us to buy and give.
Further, I have never enjoyed giving gifts just to say I have given a gift. I want to give something meaningful, useful, fun, worthwhile. The honest truth is that for most people on my list, they have PLENTY. A feast of more than enough. It is hard to find an item that cuts through the accumulation of stuff to be a meaningful gift.
What to do? We have tried to give gifts of presence, not just presents. Tickets, time together, etc. Sometimes that works better than others. I would love to stick to what a lovely woman I know calls the secondhand, handmade, fairtrade rule, but sometimes I shy away because I'm not sure how it would be received. Or what about contributing to college funds for the busy kids who seem to have everything?
We're still pondering, but we're running out of time! What about you? How do you go about selecting a lovely Christmas gift?

0 comments:

Post a Comment