Tuesday, December 28, 2010

awareness vs. activism

art from www.beatplay.wordpress.com

I spend a lot of time learning, building awareness, about what's going on in the world. NPR, New York Times, blogosphere, books, documentaries, you name it. I am aware about a lot more issues than I am actively involved in changing.
But, it is awareness that leads to activism, which leads to change. Activism sounds big and intimidating, but it's really quite simple: taking action towards change, and urging others to do the same. If I had never learned about child slavery, I would have never become a fair-trade activist (and in turn, and anti-slavery activist). If I had never seen the massive inequalities children face in our society, I would never have become a social worker (which is a full-time activist). And so on, and so forth . . .
Of course, no one can be equally involved and passionate about ALL social issues. Some people give their lives to fight for clean water, some people fight for food and shelter for everyone, some people fight slavery, some fight loneliness. All of it is important, and I think each of us should find our passion and dive right in. But what about being integrated, and living our values even in the little things?
I think sometimes awareness feels like activism--watching a gripping movie that teaches us about some social ill makes us feel really smart and compassionate. And while that learning is important, it only matters in so far as it changes us, and in turn, changes society.
So while I spend all day working to make sure children who got an unfair hand have access to everything they need to grow up healthy, I also try to beactive in little ways, like reducing negative impact on our environment, or trying to use my money in ways that make the world better. I think I can call myself a Fair Trade Activist, even though it's not a full time gig. I also have a long way to go . . . I am trying to increase my impact with clean water for all and making my voice heard in a greater variety of justice issues, and I know I can do more. We can be everyday activists--in fact, it's among the most important things we can be! I firmly believe that the world will truly change when all of us make series of small choices that make life better for everyone.
Awareness, yes. But because it leads to activism, and because activism leads to change.
If you're looking to make a difference RIGHT NOW, check out http://www.domaconnection.org/ and give. They are 3 days away from a major opportunity, and they need you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment