Monday, September 20, 2010

Waiting for Superman

I'm not a big Oprah fan, but I'm home sick today and tuned in. Today Oprah is doing what she does best--bringing awareness of a social issue to her (largely) middle class audience. The topic: our broken educational system. The documentary Waiting for Superman exposes just how outdated our current education model is and shows how unequal access is to quality education. While some people can afford to send their children to excellent schools, or are blessed to live in good districts, others are stuck with unacceptably bad education.

First: There are SO many quality teachers out there. I had many of them as a student, and I know many of them as an adult. Kudos to each of them. I hope their enthusiasm spreads.

Second: Most parents I know care deeply about the educational opportunity available to their children. Not all of those parents have equal resources to affect that opportunity.

Third: The program asserts that if each of us cared about education for all children the way we care about education for our own children, then everyone would be better off.

What do you think?

I think I'm going to watch the film. Then I think I am going to learn more about my local school district--not just the ones "my kids" attend.

Check out the Harlem Children's Zone, an innovative and transformative approach to education and community with excellent outcomes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment