Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sleepies

Hello, blog world!

Considering the ice capades of the last week (even church was closed today!), you'd think I would have found some time to blog. But I didn't! No Daily Detox this week. I didn't even post a Wednesday quote!

I had the best of intentions, but we ended up with some winter hibernation. Sure, I worked from home most of the week, but I also took some major breaks. Reading. Husband time. Lots of quiet. I felt like a cat!

Anyone who knew me way-back-when knows in the past, I might have used the snow days differently. I might have gone on an organizational/cleaning binge, staying up odd hours until the job is done. I might have caught up on the to-do list, regardless of how exhausted it left me. I might have gone on a crazy midnight escapade. A college roommate recently reminded me of my habit of waking up at 4 AM after a fun night to finish my homework. And in high school, there were a few of us who wore our sleep deficits as badges.

No more! I have now determined sleep is more important than self-made obligations. If I had learned that when I was younger, perhaps I could have gotten my tasks done faster, and better. Sleep is not for the weak or lazy! Without sleep, we're slower, dumber, grouchy, even less moral. Sleep is not just rest for the brain; the brain is super-busy while we sleep, integrating data from our day. Some studies show that loss of one night's sleep equates to 30% decrease in cognitive function. Wish I could have told that to my 11th grade over-achieving self!

Of course, when we're young, we think we're invincible. I probably wouldn't have listened anyway. And there are times in life where sleep seems like the ultimate luxury. This is the first time since I was a kid that I can remember being fully rested, and I have to say, it's pretty stinkin awesome! Better enjoy it while I can.

What does this have to do with just living? There is a lot to be said for taking good care of ourselves so we can do our part for the world. Every day I make important decisions for the families I work with, based on morals and ethics. I owe it to them to be at my best. Plus, there's a lot to be said for enjoying the simple gifts in life.

For some interesting reading on the human brain, check out Brain Rules by John Medina.

Happy Sabbath!

2 comments:

cara said...

good for you!
kitty looks like luba

Sarah said...

That's Rigby, the little guy who hides when company comes. I think he's met V, though. :)

Post a Comment